[asterisk-dev] VoIP Encryption

Daniel Pocock daniel at readytechnology.co.uk
Sat Mar 11 03:09:45 MST 2006

Abdul Lateef Khan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know any open source or tools to encrypt the VoIP packets
> (Singnaling/RTP)? Becuase some ISPs  they are interpting the Voice
> packets. so i we will use the encryption it will be very hard for him
> to know the packets.
>
> Already i tried with openVPN but the quality is still bad and the ISP
> interption is there.

Openswan works well as a VPN, the ISP won't even know you are doing voice.

    http://www.openswan.org

It interoperates with Windows and Cisco, and also supports NAT.

I've been using Openswan and previously Freeswan for quite a few years,
they are well worth a look at.  With any full VPN solution, you will
have to consider:

- QoS - the QoS systems you put in place may not know which packets are
the voice packets, as they are encrypted.  You might just have to assume
any packet under 100 bytes deserves QoS treatment.

- Firewalls - your iptables configuration (if you are using it) will
need to be tweaked, particularly for making connections to the machine
that the VPN is running from.