[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk 1.2 g729 compile errors

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Thu Mar 9 13:01:29 MST 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 01:29:23PM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

[snip]
> The issue is that these 'alternative' G.729 codecs for Asterisk involve
> the usage of code that is _not_ licensed for commercial use, nor do the
> recipients of the code have the right to redistribute it in any form at
> all (source or binary). In fact, the sources of that code specifically
> restrict its use to academic and research purposes (since it is a
> 'reference implementation' to be used for comparison and
> interoperability testing with your own code).
> If we allow discussion of this to continue on our lists, it could be
> claimed by the licensors of this code that we are not taking any steps
> to stop our user community from continuing to infringe the license
> terms; yes, that is a stretch, but there is no reason for us (or anyone
> else in the community) to be exposed to it.

Then claim freedom of speech? I thought the US was big on that? Or even
common carrier, again the US is big on that.

If Digium made reference to them or encouraged people to download them,
that's a different matter. However Digium hosting mailing lists where
people talk about things is another matter altogether.

If the licensors want the codecs removed, they can legally go after the
people hosting them etc. Unless of course they don't have jurisdiction
or applicable patents in that country.

That doesn't mean it's ok to use them in a country where patents do
apply.

In the UK at least ISPs are not liable for what customers do, and that
covers mailing lists (there can be exceptions, but generally ONLY after
they've been notified, and that has only been done for hosted [web] or
news postings).

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44-(0)7775 755503
UK +44-(0)20 79932612 / US +1-(310)8577715 / Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com