[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk 1.2 g729 compile errors

Steven critch at basesys.com
Thu Mar 9 01:27:08 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 00:43 +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I am not a lawyer, but I believe I can safely say that there is no such
> thing as source code that infringes on a patent.  It is the use of the
> code that infringes the patent, not the code itself.  I don't see how
> Digium can possibly be worried about `contributory infringement',
> because after all, don't they still have a legitimate license agreement
> for G.729?

Let us remember that law does not always follow proper logic. Let us
remember that a file sharing network itself does not infringe coporight,
but have you not noticied the lawsuits against the p2p network operators
for contributory infringement. It is known that those using the Intel
code are looking for a free implementation and have no interest in
paying for the license. Therefore contributing advice on how to use the
Intel software is contributing to the infringment of the patent.

> This code has been around
> for 18 months now and I'm still yet to receive a single complaint from a
> lawyer or from someone officially representing Digium (who do generously
> provide Asterisk and this mailing list to the community).

Yes, and how many people do you know that have been on p2p network for
years without having received their notices from the RIAA or MPAA. Lack
of notice doesn't imply consent just lack of notice.

You are very welcome to provide your own mailing list to support the
code that isn't part of asterisk. A fair number of us here do not wish
to see that information here.
--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>