[asterisk-dev] Confusion about construction of RURIs from contact headers for BYEs generated by *

Dr. Rodney G. McDuff mcduff at its.uq.edu.au
Mon Mar 6 19:15:38 MST 2006

I'm a bit confused about how * constructs the RURI when it generates a
BYE. For the situation where * send the initial INVITE it constructs the
RURI for the BYE from the contact header of the 200 OK response which is
well and good. However when * receives the initial INVITE it does not
use the contact header contained within to construct the BYE's RURI but
constructs it from scratch. This is of particular concern when one is
using a SIP clients that only do TCP like office communicator (and of
course a proxy in the middle to do UDP/TCP protocol conversion) . In
these cases well-behaving UA puts a transport=tcp tag into the contact
header of either the INVITE or the 200 OK. In the first scenario this
tag is preserved and the BYE's RURI has the transport tag (which the
proxy can use for protocol conversion). The second scenario loses the
transport tag in the BYE's RURI (and the proxy has no idea that protocol
conversion is needed)

Is my understanding  of the code correct and if so was this something
that was just missed or a design decision.

--
Dr. Rodney G. McDuff                 |Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam
Manager, Strategic Technologies Group|    Ex luce ad tenebras