[asterisk-dev] Proposal to seperate qualify & keep alive

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Mon Jun 26 12:07:11 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 20:32 +0200, Johansson Olle E wrote:

> I don't see a reason for changing method. We should propably find a way
> to override and be able to dial out regardless of the monitoring status.
> That seems like a simple fix.

That seems reasonable. The only comment I have is that solution makes
things a bit messy. Already qualify= when combined with nat= is being
used for a purpose that it wasn't originally intended which has lead to
some confusion over its purpose and how it works.

If you are proposing something like ignorequalify=yes then we end up
with:

nat=yes
qualify=200
ignorequalify=yes

which is counter intuitive.

Perhaps the answer is to make nat= into an integer (nat=yes/no/integer)
for keep alive?

So then we have:

nat=200
qualify=yes

would mean, send out a keep-alive (of some kind) every 200ms and qualify
would be unchanged.

The only "gotcha" is this means only devices behind nat could be "kept
alive" because you could never have nat=no and still send keep-alives.

This is fine if nat is the only reason why we would ever want to send
keep-alives.

Just sort of brain storming here. Comments are welcome.

John