[asterisk-dev] rel eng suggestion: -current tgz

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Jun 22 06:19:17 MST 2006

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 15:42, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>   not sure if this is the really right place to discuss since it is
> more a release engineering question, but I'll go:
>   to help people get the current "official" release of asterisk when
> they download it without having to look at all releases (I just got
> that question and the current bottom of the list is currently: 1.2.9
> while the latest is 1.2.9.1), I would suggest to have a symbolic link
> for all tar files
> in http://ftp.digium.com/pub/asterisk/releases/  such as:
> ln -s asterisk-1.2.9.1.tar.gz asterisk-current.tar.gz
> same for other tgz...

Personally I *HATE* software releases like this (just a symlink to the latest)
-- you download -current.tgz and in 1 week have no idea what version it is.
You can't untar it because it untars to asterisk/ (again no version info, not
even asterisk-current/) and is just a generally messy way to do things.

If -current.tgz untarred to asterisk-1.2.9.1/ or something it'd be much
better.  Personally I am a fan of the directory structure having the latest
in root and an old_releases/ or archive/ directory with all the old ones.

-A.