[asterisk-dev] Re: Bridging two existing calls (MeetMe, Sip, Reinvite)

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 12:28:16 MST 2006

On 6/16/06, Matt King <m at orderlysoftware.com> wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>
> Kevin P. Fleming Wrote:
>
> > This can be done easily via the Manager interface today. There are patches in the bug tracker (as Matt
> > Florell already mentioned) do enable it being done from a dialplan application, but the patches posted
> > so far have had issues... and they may or may not have been resolved yet. I have not taken the time to
> > look them over yet, as I keep being told by the bug marshals that they are not 'ready', but that may
> > have changed.
>

> Thank you so much for your reply.  Please forgive my ignorance, but how
> exactly would one do this with Manager?  I know there is a Redirect
> command, but this won't actually connect two callers, only send them to
> the same MeetMe room (for instance), which doesn't solve the problem.

The "Action: Bridge" Manager command is the one that I created and I
think Heath uses it in his patch as well. Not sure what the recent dev
branch has in it since I'm still using my year-old patch on my
production 1.2 systems.

> Or was there something else you had in mind?
>
> It does seem a little strange that a system as advanced as Asterisk has
> no way to connect two calls...

This has been a feature request for over 3 years now. I thought the
same thing about this functionality and got nowhere until I went and
wrote it myself. The reason it's not included yet is that it was never
a core-developer priority. After patching my patch several times to
the 1.2 dev branch before it was a release I couldn't get any core
developers to look at it. I even got it in before the 1.2-new-feature
deadline, but it still got brushed aside.

I'm not angry about this at all, even if I sound a bit disguntled,
because I know it's not that important of a feature to 99% of the
Asterisk users out there and the stability of Asterisk is much more
important than getting my patch(or this feature in some form) accepted
into the dev tree. Hopefully now there is a core-developer out there
that has taken this feature under their wing and will see it through
to inclusion in the development tree.

MATT---