[asterisk-dev] Using ethereal to diagnose problems

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Thu Jun 8 10:49:40 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 10:57 -0600, Douglas Garstang wrote:
> I prefer to use ngrep. It's much simpler and shows you the application
> layer traffic only, which when your debugging SIP traffic is all that
> you want to see.

Not necessarily, Layer 2 stuff can often be important. Often there are
network problems which aren't obvious until you put VoIP on the network.
People tolerate bad data networks because they assume thats just the way
it is, but bad voice is a different thing.

I think if you give ethereal a try you'll be amazed at how much more
powerful it is than tools like ngrep.

BTW, it also can capture from multiple interfaces at once though I
thought ngrep could do that? Doesn't ngrep use libpcap?

John