[asterisk-dev] Using ethereal to diagnose problems

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Thu Jun 8 09:04:40 MST 2006

Greg Boehnlein's recent post about testing Asterisk with SSIP reminded
me that I recently watched a presentation at our local Asterisk users
group about using Ethereal to trouble shoot VoIP.

Quite frankly I was blown away by how powerful Ethereal is so I thought
I'd share it here for the few of you who might not already know about
it.

Among other things you can grab all the traffic of the network; select a
SIP packet, ask Ethereal to find the complete conversation, do
statistical analysis on it (including showing which packets were lost
and why), show QOS setting etc. etc. Ethereal's colorizing also makes it
easy to see all kinds of details at a glance.

You can even ask ethereal to save the voice conversation to a .wav file.

Having just discovered this I'm far from an expert. Does anyone know of
any in-depth tutorials on analyzing VoIP with ethereal so I can make
even better use of it?

John