[asterisk-dev] HINTS/SIP NOTIFY how to write a monitoring APP

James Gardiner asterisk at crafted.com.au
Thu Jun 8 05:26:42 MST 2006

Hi, Asterisk development Team,
I was wondering if some one who is more on top of the code could tell me
if....

I was considering putting some time into writing a program that Monitors
extensions from a PC.
Ie a small app in the system tray.  Now this would not be too hard if I
use asterisk-panel and talk directly to the perl server engin like the
web page/flash does. However, I see this is a very bad implementation
overall. (Server load and traffic generation is a little high and could
be an issue with a lot of monitoring clients.)

Now we have HINTS / SIP NOTIFY, which appears to be the correct way to
do this.

Now, to attach to the HINTS, you need to be talking SIP and
register/NOTIFY your interest with asterisk..
As such, if I only wanted to monitor calls using hints, would I need to
do a full SIP protocol login?
Would I need to make a SIP account for monitoring for every PC I want to
monitor the hints? (Can I use the one account for all clients)

I suspect this is the case from what I understand (have read so far) of
the SIP protocol and NOTIFY.

Can some one with more knowledge shed some light on this?  Is thisi the
case, and or, can you see a better way to do this?

Thanks,
James