[asterisk-dev] Whimsical idea, please comment

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro jcastro at instant.com.br
Mon Jun 5 15:06:52 MST 2006

John Todd wrote:

>> I'd like to create a "chan_file", which would read its input from a
>> specified file (optionally looping) and write to another file. I'm
>> thinking of using chan_oss as a model. Unless somebody has already
>> made something on that lines. (Did anyone?)
>>
>> If the files are named pipes, all kinds of fun could be had.
>
> I think that sounds like a good idea, though I can't put my finger on
> any particular uses at the moment.  I expect it would be the core of a
> good number of truly awful hacks, but that's good for everyone.  :-)

It's well on its way -- I chopped away like 70% of chan_oss and did some
tweaks here and there and it almost works, but due to timing issues I
have yet to sort out, the input file only gets played out (looped
actually) to the caller if debug messages are enabled. D'oh.

If anyone wants to play with this gremlin, let me know.

Oh, and by the way thanks to Luigi for making me see something awfully
obvious. ;)

Juan