[asterisk-dev] 'IAX2 call variable passing between servers '

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Thu Jul 27 11:34:09 MST 2006

On 27 Jul 2006, at 18:48, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> On Thursday 27 July 2006 11:55, Douglas Garstang wrote:
>> Found this thread on this list, from almost three years ago.
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2003-December/002398.h
>> tml
>>
>> It talks about passing variables in IAX2.
>>
>> Was any of it ever implemented?
>
> No, and it probably won't be, until it gets past the "wouldn't it be
> cool if..." stage.  Not to mention that debugging a session where
> the variables could change midexecution in the dialplan would be
> pure hell.

That's true, but if they were only passed with the 'NEW' message, then
it would be like the setvar lines in iax.conf, set at the start of a
call.

The discussion in that thread describes how to put them in their own
namespace, so they never collide with 'local' variables.

For me the solution over-complicates things,
a simple url style additional argument(s) to dial would do the trick.
say:

dial (IAX2/mexuar/tim?XYZ=${XYZ})

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com