[asterisk-dev] Questions on concurrent Dial

Chan Kwang Mien kwangmien at asgent-tech.com
Mon Jul 24 00:09:04 MST 2006

Hi,

I am currently implementing incoming group call in Asterisk. The
requirement is such that when a particular extension is received at
Asterisk, Asterisk will dial all phones belonging to the same group.
However, not all phones ring, only some phones should ring.

I have tried 2 methods :

a) The first one was using Alert-Info as follows. In this example, only
phones with extensions 102 and 103 should ring, but 101 will not.
However, the problem with this method is that Asterisk will be blocked
on the first dial as 101 is ringing. Hence, the second Dial will not be
executed.

exten =>123,1,SIPAddHeader("Alert-Info:<http://ip-address/empty.wav>")
exten =>123,2,Dial(SIP/101)

exten =>123,3,SIPAddHeader("Alert-Info:<http://ip-address/ring.wav>")
exten =>123,4,Dial(SIP/102&SIP/103....)

b) The second method was to use threads in perl AGI. One thread executes
$AGI->exec('Dial',"SIP/101") while the second thread executes $AGI->exec('Dial',
"SIP/102&SIP/103"). I noticed that Asterisk would execute the first thread and
be blocked at the first Dial. Hence, again the second dial cannot be executed
simultaneously with the first Dial.

I was wondering if there is any way in Asterisk such that 2 Dials can be
executed simultaneously ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Kwang Mien