[asterisk-dev] [RFC] optimising RTP traffic?

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Sat Jul 22 04:39:40 MST 2006

On 22 Jul 2006, at 00:10, Constantine Filin wrote:

> Summing it up about optimizing RTP traffic - I get that "sendfile"
> is off-limits"
> because one of the file descriptions can't be a socket.
>
> splice - while einticing, is only avaialbe in new Lunix kernels,
> also it lacks
> user space library support (I'll take this back if someone explains
> me how I
> can do a syscall without library support)
>
> This leaves epoll and the only candiate to boost RTP performance on
> asterisk.
>
> Did I get it right?

Isn't this exactly the sort of thing that Streams are supposed to do ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STREAMS says :

"An important concept in STREAMS is the ability to push drivers —
custom code modules that can modify the functionality of a network
interface or other device — together to form a stack. Several of
these drivers can be chained together in order."

Sounds like you could push a driver that would handle the majority of
rtp cases in the kernel, leaving the tricky ones for
userlevel code.

Now, I'm ignorant as to the practicality, but I do know that there is
a streams implementation for Linux.
T.