[asterisk-dev] Feedback / handoff request for AGI "BACKGROUND" command...

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Jul 21 10:29:53 MST 2006

On Thursday 20 July 2006 18:15, Josh McAllister wrote:
> Out of immediate neccessity I hacked together a new AGI command to
> stream a file in the background (exec Background doesn't seem to
> work... Does not return immediately). This has been briefly tested,
> and it does indeed work. Usage:

The Background app isn't supposed to return immediately.  The usage of
the Background app is to play a file, while waiting for DTMF input.

> BACKGROUND [file]
>
> Yes, file is optional. Calling BACKGROUND with no parameters invokes
> ast_stopstream which cuts off the stream, and makes us ready to
> stream something else. You CAN NOT stream anything else until you've
> called BACKGROUND with no params, or bad things may happen.
>
> One feature I started to plan for, but didn't finish is for
> BACKGROUND by itself to return the offset (endpos) of the
> backgrounded stream where it was stopped.

I would prefer if you didn't call it BACKGROUND, since the functionality
you've described conflicts with the functionality of the Background app.
Perhaps a better name would be ASYNCPLAYBACK?

--
Tilghman