[asterisk-dev] [RFC] optimising RTP traffic?

SteveK stevek at stevek.com
Thu Jul 20 09:57:39 MST 2006

I'd like to offer my 2c on the issue:  Before you look really hard at
what it takes to try to move RTP forwarding up from the application
and into the kernel, it would make sense to:

a) Profile the present situation:  You can use oprofile or other
tools to profile the entire system, and see where most of the time is
being spent.   If the goal is to optimize this process, this would
point out the places to look.  I don't know if this has been done or
not yet, but it seems the original idea was based on intuition, not
on actual results.

b) Build a system that you can at least use for profiling, which
works using sendfile() or similar, even if it doesn't actually work
properly, and benchmark it.  The point here is to just get a ballpark
of the improvement you expect to see, to determine if it's worth
actually making it all work.  You don't need to dot the i's and cross
the t's, just make it something you can set up calls with, and
benchmark.

-SteveK