[asterisk-dev] [RFC] optimisinf RTP traffic? (Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk)

Constantine Filin cfilin at intermedia.net
Thu Jul 20 06:10:16 MST 2006

Roy -

> once again, I'm trying to find a good way to speed up RTP bridging.
> in real-world environments where more than 50% of the clients are
> behind NAT, one cannot just use reinvites because of NAT problems,
> audio disappears etc. so, since NAT implies the need for bridging RTP
> somehow. The current implementation with the good-old recvfrom/sendto
> is inefficient. the use of these calls makes a overwhelming overhead
> in kernel-space due to context-switching between user and kernel. I'm
> just thinking using sendfile or something like it would be useful,
> since there's hardly anything like a mmap for udp.

I do not know what sendfile can do, but just keep me in the loop on your
effort as I am also looking into optimizting RTP performance in asterisk.

I've got some code that shaves off a few CPU cycles in RTP bridging in user
space but you are right - the breakthrough in RTP brigding should in done on
the kernel. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need someone who can
code and test a few things.

Thanks

-c