[asterisk-dev] [RFC] optimisinf RTP traffic?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Wed Jul 19 18:00:36 MST 2006

hi all

once again, I'm trying to find a good way to speed up RTP bridging.
in real-world environments where more than 50% of the clients are
behind NAT, one cannot just use reinvites because of NAT problems,
audio disappears etc. so, since NAT implies the need for bridging RTP
somehow. The current implementation with the good-old recvfrom/sendto
is inefficient. the use of these calls makes a overwhelming overhead
in kernel-space due to context-switching between user and kernel. I'm
just thinking using sendfile or something like it would be useful,
since there's hardly anything like a mmap for udp.

Can anyone give a comment?

thanks

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
roy at karlsbakk.net
(+47) 98013356
---
In space, loud sounds, like explosions, are even louder because there
is no air to get in the way.