[asterisk-dev] Web Application Communication

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Wed Jul 19 00:53:11 MST 2006

On 18 Jul 2006, at 23:37, Stefan Reuter wrote:

> Matthew Nicholson wrote:
>> He will probably need more than the Manager API to do screen pops and
>> such.  He could use AGI scripts for this.
>
> We do this usually by intercepting NewChannelEvents/NewCallerIdEvents
> and doing notification via ajax. The Manager API has the advantage of
> providing a unified interface for inbound call notification, outbound
> calling and transfering calls. Thats how the Asterisk integration in
> CentricCRM is done.

I guess that means that the AJAX is polling the web app
to see if there is a new call? How frequently do you poll?

We've solved this a different way, without polling - but with
AJAX.

We embed a softphone (we use ours of course) in the
web page. When a call comes in, it issues a JavaScript
callback and the normal AJAX stuff kicks in.

In the case of agents with hard-phones, we get asterisk to
ring both the hard and softphone, the agent picks up
the hardphone, but the softphone still triggers the AJAX
stuff.

In theory this should be more responsive and scalable,
but I have no figures to back that up.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com