[asterisk-dev] Passing AOC information across channels

Koopmann, Jan-Peter Jan-Peter.Koopmann at seceidos.de
Tue Jan 31 00:22:08 MST 2006

On Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:27 AM Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> Given that these messages can occur at any time during a call
> (beginning, middle, or end), it really does beg for a frametype.
> Channel variables are really only appropriate for messages which
> appear exclusively at the beginning of a call.  If you want to relay
> AOC which appears towards the middle or end, you need a frame to pass
> along the information.

Agreed. If we are changing the infrastructure to support AOC we really
should go the entire way and support all AOC types. And I simply do not
see any way of coping with continuing AOC frames during a call if we are
doing this via the dialplan. I have no clue if this works but how about
this:

Would it not be possible to optinally declare some sort of transition
function or hook? If this is not declared the costs simply go through
untouched (good for putting * in front of your own PBX). If you declare
the function it is called for every AOC frame that comes into the
system. The function would need the original AOC values, the number
dialed and the channel used. With this information a service provider
can then change the AOC values to any value appropriate to him. No clue
how to achieve this but this would solve quite a few problems.

> I do agree with Olle, though, that passing along the AOC IE isn't
> always advisable.  Perhaps we could do something similar to CallerID
> presentation, where we block it from passing along past a certain
> point.

Agreed. The obvious simple solution would be to have the choice between

1. Pass through AOC untouched or
2. Do not pass any AOC information.

Maybe it would be nice to at least have the option of sending AOC-E
information somehow but even that is not necessary for the first simple
solution.

Kind regards,
  JP