[asterisk-dev] Passing AOC information across channels

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Mon Jan 30 14:50:23 MST 2006

(note, lots of useful discussion removed - if you are just joining
us, please
read the thread to this point).
On 30 Jan 2006, at 18:42, Olle E Johansson wrote:

> I don't think AST_CONTROL frames is the way to go. We must be able
> to handle this in a more generic way, like I proposed earlier, with
> either dialplan variables
> or a dialplan function. Transmission of cost between call legs
> seems to me like something you want to be in control of in the dial
> plan. (Your service provider's cost should not be transmitted to
> your customers).

But sometimes it should be passed through asterisk. Like when you put
an asterisk between an existing PBX
and the PRI the pbx was connected to. If that PBX does stuff with the
AOC (like charging cost centers or
limiting call costs) then Asterisk needs to pass it through.

In at least one of the modes the AOC value is time dependent,  you
keep getting new (higher !) values
through the life of the call, so just setting a single variable is
not enough, you want to know when it was last set too.

> But I do understand why he wants it in AST_CONTROL frames on the
> other hand, so it's not an easy fix. Anyone with a suggestion?

It isn't CONTROL, but it probably should be in a  frame. It strikes
me as being more like the HTML or TEXT frames
in IAX. It would be nice to try and piggy back it on a voice frame,
but that might get ugly.

> Before you contract KPJ about it, make sure that he agrees to
> disclaim the code to Digium - otherwise you won't see it in
> Asterisk but only in his patches.

Tim.

http://www.westhawk.co.uk/