[asterisk-dev] RTP Payload size definition

Henri Herscher henri.herscher at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 14:44:40 MST 2006

Hi Robert,

RTP payload size for ULAW can theoretically be of any size, there is
no "block" size as for other codecs like G.729 or G.723. Every one 16
bit PCM sample is translated into an 8 bit ULAW/ALAW value.

So quite easily, if the packet transports 20 ms of audio, the packet
size will be 8000 samples per second * 0.02 second * 1 byte per
encoded PCM sample - 160 bytes.

For 30 ms packet size, it is 240 bytes.

Cheers
Henri