[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.2.3 Released - Critical Update... Thanks for the stability!

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Jan 26 05:22:45 MST 2006

>>However, in addition to the magic, anyone moving complete new code into
>>a high visibility production network without "first" testing it is nuts.
>>

>I agree with you, but in this case, we test 1.2 stable, but not test in
>"time machine" mode, i mean moving the system clock forward and
>backward. I thing this bug take many people by Surprise.

Obviously, it already did. Luckily out of all deployed systems, there were
not that many implementors that upgraded to v1.2.2 within the couple of
days since it was released.

Since this _is_ open source, its almost impossible to track every change
that actually made it into a version release. So, the only professional
way to handle an upgrade is to apply the upgrade to one control/test system
to evaluate those changes before applying it to full production systems.

There certainly have been and will continue to be other changes that require
some form of manual intervention/change to existing configurations in order
for an upgraded system to function properly in production.

I think congratulations are in order to everyone involved with * in finding
and correcting the bug in such a short period of time. Not many commercial
software companies that can turn things around that quickly.