[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.2.3 Released - Critical Update... Thanks for the stability!

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Jan 26 01:38:43 MST 2006

> I appreciate the fast responce of the Devel team in fix this critical
> bug, but i ask:
>
>    If we make a quality and test procedure, we can detect this kind of
> bugs faster?
>
>    A test methodology is a problem in the development effort?
This was discussed at Astricon Europe last year, as well as Astricon US.

We do need people that test code in an efficient way. The Asterisk
Business Edition release team does quite a lot of testing that also
benefits the Open Source release.

When we ask for tests of new patches on the mailing lists, we rareley
get feedback. That is a problem. With the change of software in the bug
tracker the other night, we can now award karma points for people that
test patches as well!

Russell and I have started working on a testing framework within the
source code to make sure that code works as expected in certain
scenarios. For my SIP development, I need to make sure that the parser
works the proper way all the time, and need test code for testing that
since, well, SIP can be a bit complicated to parse...

But if your team could set up a test framework with dialplans and such
that actually tested some features by executing the software, that would
be really great. In the bug tracker, there is an open bug on extending
the test application that can be used in the dialplan for testing, and I
am sure that there are other changes needed to be able to implement good
tests.

To summarize a long answer: Yes, we need more help testing the software
and setting up test scenarios. Your help is very much appreciated.

/O