[asterisk-dev] Need to implement whisper mode.

Alexander Lopez alex.lopez at opsys.com
Thu Jan 19 11:57:39 MST 2006

I have a client that has this feature on their NEC PBX.

It allows a secretary to 'whisper' in the bosses ear, the party that the boss is talking to does not hear the secretary. The Boss then press a key on the phone and responds to the secretary while muting the audio to the party the boss is speaking to.

I have convinced the boss to use DTMF keys to respond, So I figured I would create a MeetMe room, redirect the calls there and have the MeetMe exit once a key is pressed and then rejoin the two legs of the call and play a canned Allison response to the secretary.

Problem is that the Boss does not want the caller to heat the secretary. Nor does the Boss want the Secretary to hear the caller.

A =   Caller (speaking to Boss)
B =   Boss
C =   Secretary

A and B ar in a call, and C needs to tell B something.

A and B are placed (redirected) in a MeetMe Room (Full Duplex, Both can here each other)

C jumps in and cannot hear what A is saying and A cannot hear what C is saying.

That's is my problem, How do I stream audio to B (after the call is up) from C without A hearing?

Any tips on how I should start to write this???

I can:

Add a pseudo channel to each leg of the call, Audio in and Audio Out with something as:
Local/IN/${CALLID} and Local/OUT/${CALLID}

I can then add those legs to a MeetMe Room and they are Isolated.

or

Build a New Dial command that will allow me to mix and inject audio on a bridged call.

I think that option one although a new channel, would also help out with monitoring and having the ability to inject audio from outside a calls logic.

Any thoughts?????

Alex