[Asterisk-Dev] ringback after PlayBack()

Guo-Wei Chiuan gwchiuan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 19:48:26 MST 2006

Eric, thanks for your hints.
I checked wiki and it says indications.conf is related to Playtones(), but I
did not use Playtones().

By the way, I went back to check source codes. In sip_indicate():

switch(condition) {
case AST_CONTROL_RINGING:
    if (AST_STATE_RING)
    {
        if(!p->progress)
        {
            transmit_response("180 Ringing");
            p->ringing=1;
            break;
        }
        else
        {
            /* Oops, we have sent progress tones. Let Asterisk do it instead
*/
        }
    }
    return -1;
::::::
}//end of switch()

Hm...It looks like Asterisk would NOT send "180 Ringing" if "183 Session
Progress" has been sent. So, after Playback("forward, please
wait...",noanswer) which causes 183 to be sent, "180 Ringing" would not be
sent while Asterisk tries to indicate RINGING. As a result, caller can not
hear ringback tone any more. I guess that is the reason...

But, does anybody know why we do NOT send "180 Ringing" after "183 Session
Progress"(w/ SDP)? I checked RFC3261 and it seems not to mention "183" a
lot. And, what does it mean by "Let Asterisk do it instead" if p->progrss=1?
What shall Asterisk do while p->progress=1(183 has been sent)?

thanks a lot
Chuan