[Asterisk-Dev] [patch] Function to check passcode against vm passcode

Gil Kloepfer astr-dev at kloepfer.org
Tue Jan 17 16:06:51 MST 2006

I wrote:
>The rationale behind this is that there are occasions where I have
>already read a "password" (I'm calling it a passcode since it is really
>just digits) and want to just test it against a particular user's
>voicemail mailbox password.  This differs from VMAuthenticate which
>requires the password to be entered at the same time the test is done.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 04:53:00PM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming responded:
> So why don't you just add an option to VMAuthenticate to pass the
> password in, instead of creating a new app/function?

That's a good question.

My understanding is that VMAuthenticate ends the current call if the
password doesn't match what's in voicemail.conf.  I don't necessarily
intend on ending the call or trying to reauthenticate.  There actually
is a specific case I have where I'm planning to do some alternative
action if the passwords don't match.

I can understand the desire to limit the number of apps/functions
in Asterisk, but I'm not sure changing VMAuthenticate is the right
way to handle this.  It's a matter of whether to add additional
options and args to VMAuthenticate vs. creating an extra function.
Both ideas have merit.

I'm definitely open to ideas though.  Thanks for the good feedback.

---
Gil Kloepfer
astr-dev at kloepfer.org