[Asterisk-Dev] Dialplan Loop Detection

Wolfgang Pichler madmin at dialog-telekom.at
Tue Jan 17 01:08:39 MST 2006

Hi all,

i've already sended this mail yesterday - but it seems that there were
some problems with the list - and the mail didn't arrive...

we do have a little problem with our dialplan...

we have made the dialplan heavily configureable by the users (over a
webinterface and some db lookups) - so every user can configure "On
Busy", "On No Answer", aso. Actions. Actions like - Forward call to
extensions xyz.

The Problem now is - If user A forwards its call to user B - and User B
forwards his calls to user A - then - your guess it right - it will get
a Desaster...

One solution would be to check the forwards within the web interface -
but there are many possible causes for the loop - so this would get
really hard...

The other solution would be to check it within asterisk... So i've
searched for loop detection - and i can only find references to loop
detection on a lower level, but i can't find something about loop
detection in the dialplan.

So i'd like to ask here, if there does already exist something to detect
such loops - or if i should sit down and write my own (and share it with
the asterisk community) application for it ?

best regards,
Wolfgang