[Asterisk-Dev] Re: Voicemail to email volume change patch

Robert A. Thompson ucs_rat at shsu.edu
Fri Jan 13 14:11:51 MST 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:28:31 -0600, Steven Critchfield wrote:

> You aren't normalizing the audio, you are just adjusting the volume. If
> you are going to go to the work of using an external app, why not use
> normalize so it truly is normalized and doesn't introduce problems when
> audio comes from different sources and therefore needs different audio
> adjustments.
>
> Now the trouble with normalize is that it doesn't support very many
> formats. I think it supports PCM wav and mp3 only. At least sox does
> have better format support.

The term normalize is incorrect in hind sight, however it stemmed from
wanting something that sounded "normal" (after blowing up a pair of
speakers going from music to voicemail back to music).

I'm sure there better ways of doing this and with a little guidance on
sound processing I would be willing to donate the time to fix it or make
it better.  This patch stemmed from me getting pissed at the sound
difference, telling Aaron to change it, him saying it would require
changing the code, and me saying fine... I opened the file, hacked this in
and 5 minutes later asked him to put it into production.  We did a quick
debug session and all seems to be working fine.

--Robert