[Asterisk-Dev] moving sounds out of asterisk repository

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Fri Jan 13 12:05:19 MST 2006

On Jan 13, 2006, at 4:45 AM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Is there any reason, thus, that the version of asterisk-sounds is
> automatically bumped on each release of Asterisk? Could it be bumped
> only when there is actually a releasble change? If not: could the
> tarball include some sort of changelog?

No.  I plan to only bump version numbers when things have actually
changed from now on.

> Note that this breaks badly if you don't have internet connection.

This method would only be used if the version of Asterisk currently
being installed was checked out of svn.  I think it is safe to assume
that anyone installing an svn checkout has an internet connection
available.

When talking to Kevin last night on IRC, we modified the plan a
little bit.  When using a svn checkout, instead of downloading the
tarball, we can just download the appropriate tag using svn.

We would also like to do a little bit of a reorganization of the
asterisk-sounds repository:

	asterisk-sounds/base/
The base sounds that are currently in the Asterisk repository

	asterisk-sounds/extras/
These are the sounds currently in asterisk-sounds/.

	asterisk-sounds/other/
We could then easily add other directories as appropriate.

> So will it be in asterisk-sounds or in asterisk? Or both? The base/
> directory can be a source of problems if people start to use it
> literally (if it is in the asterisk-sounds tarball).

I prefer to keep the base sounds in the Asterisk tarball for the sake
of simplicity.

--
Russell Bryant