[Asterisk-Dev] moving sounds out of asterisk repository

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Jan 12 18:22:01 MST 2006

Hey everyone,

I would like propose an idea for how to move the sounds our of the main
Asterisk repository.  I know that for those of us that have to make
Asterisk checkouts constantly, it is pretty annoying to have to download
them over and over.  This is inspired by ideas Josh Colp (file) proposed
to me in IRC.

1) Move asterisk/sounds to asterisk-sounds/base/

2) Modify the Asterisk Makefile to check for the existence of the sounds
directory.

If it doesn't exist, check for ../asterisk-sounds.  If it exists, use
svn to make sure it is up to date.  Then, 'ln -s ../asterisk-sounds/base
sounds'.

If it does not exist, do a 'svn co
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk-sounds/base sounds'.

Of course, this only works with svn installed.  For a release, we would
just include the sounds in the tarball.

What do you think?

--
Russell Bryant