[Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk Hard Phone + Soft Video Client Integration

Harry Yeh harryyeh at cometcomputing.com
Sat Jan 7 20:01:01 MST 2006

I was wondering if it is possible to develop a soft video client that
can be integrated with a Hard Phone so that you can use your PC to
display video when talking on a hard IP Phone. So essentially, when you
pick up your hard phone and dial, if the other side supports video, you
would automatically start sending video and vice versa.

A product on the market that does something similar is the Cisco VT
Advantage. If anyone has any plans to develop any thing like this or
wants to see how we could get started, please send me an email. I think
this would really bring desktop video conferencing to business users
since and to the mass market since won't have to buy a phone that
specifically supports only video. With the mass of webcams out there
already I am sure that if this was made with asterisk that low cost
desktop video conferencing will become even stronger.

Harry