[Asterisk-Dev] When do we change manager version?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jan 5 14:29:38 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 22:42 +0200, Zoa wrote:
> How about asterisk checking what version we expect and act accordingly ?  :)
> Maybe thats too much too ask though...

While it would make the asterisk code a little more bloated having to
deal with many different versions of responses, I think it is better
than needing to get all the support apps into lock step with asterisk
manager changes.

Maybe it is time to start manager v2 with the idea of negotiating an
acceptable version of the protocol and then proceeding. Maybe it might
also be nice to move the protocol out of the commands a bit and create
essentially a MVC to handle multiple representaions of the data. This
might allow for the handling of legacy V1 manager protocol without
having the underlying code stagnate.

Of course I say this without any real knowledge of the underlying code
for the manager system. I haven't even used anything based on the
manager in over 2 years.