[Asterisk-Dev] A few driver ideas...

Christian Richter christian.richter at beronet.com
Thu Jan 5 05:08:58 MST 2006

kpj at junghanns.net wrote:

>>A few idea's for drivers have been bouncing around in my brain, and I'd
>>be interested in some feedback from the asterisk dev community...
>>
>>1. zaptel wrapper for mISDN. Would this add any value to anyone? I've
>>had a look around in the code for both drivers and it doesn't seem too
>>impossible...
>>

>What should that look like and what should it do? mISDN handles the
>complete protocol stack in the kernel but zaptel is just a stupid layer 1
>device...
>

>>1a. A hypothetical question. ISDN adapter A has a perfectly functional
>>mISDN (and therefore CAPI) driver available for it. ISDN adapter B has a
>>perfectly functional zaptel driver available for it. Both adapters are
>>reasonably priced and are functionally identical. For use under
>>Asterisk, which would you prefer?
>>

>Well, zaptel ISDN drivers (as in BRIstuff) have the advantage of
>delivering a timing source to asterisk. But they also reduce latency a lot
>when you are bridging from an ISDN BRI card to another zaptel device (may
>that be a PRI card or some FXS/FXO thingies...) because it is bridged
>inside the kernel. Also debugging signalling problems in userspace is much
>quicker than in kernelspace.
>An additional benefit would be that you get layer 1,2,3 certified (TR3,
>TRB3-A1) drivers (and protocol stack) with our zaptel approach.

* mISDN  bridges in Hardware if possible and in Kernel Space else, which
has at least as low latency as zaptel has
* the comunity of mISDN is big
* mISDN is not a patch to asterisk/zaptel

>>2. TDMoE driver for existing ATA's (eg sipura/linksys). At a guess this
>>would involve either getting Linux to run and writing a driver for any
>>'foreign' hardware... including the F[SX]O ports, or some insane black
>>magic in wedging a driver into the existing O/S. Unless someone has
>>Linux already running on one (I've looked and can't see any evidence of
>>it having been done), then this one probably goes in the 'too hard'
>>bucket. Maybe TDMoE doesn't really make sense when you are talking about
>>one channel...

you won't get anyone make this i think. It would probably be easier
developeing a new ata for that.

>>3. zaptel driver for the 'netjet' PCI BRI adapter (one of the few
>>available in Australia, and by far the cheapest). There is an mISDN/CAPI
>>driver for it now, but it is a bit unreliable for me at the moment.
>>Maybe my time would be better spent fixing bugs in that...

post that bug at www.isdn4linux.de/mantis they have a bug tracker, like
digiums.