[Asterisk-Dev] A few driver ideas...

James Harper james.harper at bendigoit.com.au
Thu Jan 5 04:00:29 MST 2006

A few idea's for drivers have been bouncing around in my brain, and I'd
be interested in some feedback from the asterisk dev community...

1. zaptel wrapper for mISDN. Would this add any value to anyone? I've
had a look around in the code for both drivers and it doesn't seem too
impossible...

1a. A hypothetical question. ISDN adapter A has a perfectly functional
mISDN (and therefore CAPI) driver available for it. ISDN adapter B has a
perfectly functional zaptel driver available for it. Both adapters are
reasonably priced and are functionally identical. For use under
Asterisk, which would you prefer?

2. TDMoE driver for existing ATA's (eg sipura/linksys). At a guess this
would involve either getting Linux to run and writing a driver for any
'foreign' hardware... including the F[SX]O ports, or some insane black
magic in wedging a driver into the existing O/S. Unless someone has
Linux already running on one (I've looked and can't see any evidence of
it having been done), then this one probably goes in the 'too hard'
bucket. Maybe TDMoE doesn't really make sense when you are talking about
one channel...

3. zaptel driver for the 'netjet' PCI BRI adapter (one of the few
available in Australia, and by far the cheapest). There is an mISDN/CAPI
driver for it now, but it is a bit unreliable for me at the moment.
Maybe my time would be better spent fixing bugs in that...

James