[asterisk-dev] Channel Bridging

Kaloyan Kovachev kkovachev at varna.net
Mon Feb 27 05:14:47 MST 2006

 It will probably require lots of changes, but ...
 What if there are few "bridging engine" threads (configurable to handle the
load of the system with regards on available resources). When there is a new
call to be bridged it should subscribe for bridging to the least loaded
engine, which will handle it from that point.
 The engine should not do the actual frame exchange/mixing in any of the
methods, but based on the number of channels, channel flags, features and
received frame type may decide which bridging method to call (attach), to
actually exchange the data or not to do so, when muted or suspended. This way,
even in a conference, when there are just 2 channels to bridge, it will simply
pass frames. If it's FAX/DTMF frame may process or pass it.
 Even local services (parking, MOH, VM, Echo, milliwatt ...) could be treated
as a normal call leg in this case, so there could be just one instance for
each MOH class used instead of one per channel on hold.
 The engine may check regulary if there is a new data in the channel, which
should be OK even with silence suppression. The data may be passed to/from an
independent from the channel configurable jitter-buffer, echo canceler and/or
CNG, then to the other channel(s).
 As the bridge will create its config upon subscription for each channel, the
features (as timeout and forward being enabled/disabled) won't be lost and may
keep them until the last channel is closed or even some time afterwards (may
also keep the data until all registered CDR engines have successfully stored
their records so no record will be lost even if the database wasn't available
for few minutes)
 The engine will not be closed even if there are no calls to bridge, but will
wait for the next call.

just my 0.02

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:56:43 -0500, SteveK wrote