[asterisk-dev] Zap channel naming is way too confusing

Bob Goddard asterisk-list at 2.asterisk.bgcomp.co.uk
Sat Feb 25 11:19:17 MST 2006

On Saturday 25 Feb 2006 16:00, Steven wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 10:56 +0000, Bob Goddard wrote:
> > Personally, I'd like to see different line types given different naming
> > conventions. TDM, PRI, BRI and dummy should not all come under ZAP.
> > Will it mean additional work, bloat and maintenance? Yes, but as I see
> > them all being different carrier hardware then I don't see why not.
> > If nothing else, it will help stop confusion. I can't help feeling
> > though, that I am in a minority of one.
>
> Hmm, let me point out why you are in the minority by taking your opinion
> and stretching it a bit further.
>
> Let us think about SIP for a moment, all SIP devices use the same
> driver, but there are differing devices on the other end with differing
> options and support. So let us split up SIP for Polycomms, Snoms,
> Proxies, and whatever else...
>
> Does that help point out why splitting the channel driver up because you
> want to expose up the information about the transport?

I think you are taking it to extreme. The SIP driver does not care what
type of phone or node is at the other end and does not use any kernel
devices. The zap stuff does and has to differentiate between pots and
ISDN. Why don't we go the whole hog then and have ISDN, pots, SIP, SCCP,
IAX and any other all have the same nomenclature then have * workout
the actual channel type on its own?

I know I'm never going to convice anyone, but likewise, no one is ever
going to convince me that the current setup is correct.

http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/