[asterisk-dev] Zap channel naming is way too confusing

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat Feb 25 09:00:01 MST 2006

On Saturday 25 February 2006 01:55, Dinesh Nair wrote:
> On 02/24/06 00:24 Tilghman Lesher said the following:
> > always specify the absolute channel, in a format such as:
> > Zap[ss/rrr](nnn), e.g. Zap[3/4](52) or Zap/52.
>
> i like this idea conceptually, just that the TECH/SPAN-CHAN
> nomenclature should be maintained instead of introducing square
> brackets. this keeps it consistent with the naming conventions for
> SIP and IAX2 used within asterisk and would make parsing channel
> identifiers a whole lot easier in external scripts or AGI.

I agree with maintaining the current nomenclature, but that would be
Zap/CHAN, nothing to do with the span number.  The whole point of this
discussion was to find an alternative nomenclature so that the span
number and relative channel could be displayed along with the absolute
channel number, since the span and relative channel make it easier to
think about how a channel is routed.

--
Tilghman