[asterisk-dev] Zap channel naming is way too confusing

Bob Goddard asterisk-list at 2.asterisk.bgcomp.co.uk
Sat Feb 25 03:56:31 MST 2006

On Saturday 25 Feb 2006 10:04, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 03:55:14PM +0800, Dinesh Nair wrote:
> > On 02/24/06 00:24 Tilghman Lesher said the following:
> > >always specify the absolute channel, in a format such as:
> > >Zap[ss/rrr](nnn), e.g. Zap[3/4](52) or Zap/52.
> >
> > i like this idea conceptually, just that the TECH/SPAN-CHAN nomenclature
> > should be maintained instead of introducing square brackets. this keeps
> > it consistent with the naming conventions for SIP and IAX2 used within
> > asterisk and would make parsing channel identifiers a whole lot easier in
> > external scripts or AGI.
>
> But spans are an internal implementation detail of the zaptel channel.
>
> Not to mention that span number can easily change just as well. Merley

Personally, I'd like to see different line types given different naming
conventions. TDM, PRI, BRI and dummy should not all come under ZAP.
Will it mean additional work, bloat and maintenance? Yes, but as I see
them all being different carrier hardware then I don't see why not.
If nothing else, it will help stop confusion. I can't help feeling
though, that I am in a minority of one.

http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/