[asterisk-dev] Best sound format / sample rate for french translated Asterisk sounds?

Steven critch at basesys.com
Fri Feb 24 08:40:35 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 10:10 -0500, Rusty Dekema wrote:
> On 2/23/06, Denis Smirnov <ds at seiros.ru> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:37:31PM -0500, Rusty Dekema wrote:
> >
> > RD> The best-quality codecs that Asterisk currently supports are ulaw and
> > RD> alaw. Using one of those will result in the best sound quality.
> >
> > _best_ quality would be with slinear.
>
> True, but I thought that as of 1.2, Asterisk would no longer speak
> slinear over IAX, SIP, and so on. Was I wrong about that? I didn't
> understand why that change would have been made, but I could have
> sworn I read that it had been...

Whether or not slinear is spoken over the wire or not, it still
represents the most audio data of any of the codecs. Asterisk then does
a conversion to the codec you need for over the wire. ulaw and alaw
would be less audio information when you convert to another codec.

And for system load, without having to go from ulaw or alaw to sliniear
and then to codec of choice reduces computational load.
--
Steven <critch at basesys.com>