[asterisk-dev] how to export symbols from app_ and chan_ objects?

Marc Haisenko haisenko at comdasys.com
Wed Feb 22 02:31:06 MST 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 02:52, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2006 04:20, Marc Haisenko wrote:
> > On Monday 20 February 2006 23:43, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > > Why not simply write your app directly into chan_zap.c and use
> > > the corresponding ast_register_application and
> > > ast_unregister_application APIs?  This is already being done for
> > > another app that needs similar access to private zaptel channel
> > > structures.
> >
> > Suggestions like these explain why Asterisk is full of >100kB
> > source files... I really hope this was a joke.
>
> Oh, no!  100k?  My goodness, where shall I ever find a disk large
> enough to store a source file of that size?

So, if storage size isn't a problem, why not throw the complete Asterisk
source into one C file and be done with symbol export problems ?

Seriously, you really underestimate how hard it is for someone new to the
Asterisk source to debug/understand the source. The header files are fine,
they are good documented, but the actual C files are a horror: too few
comments, too much stuff in single files which should be split into several
files, too few explanations what's actually going on. But I guess this isn't
the first time you've read this critique, it's an old Asterisk issue...

If I wasn't forced by my employer to write a particular Asterisk application I
would have given up months ago. If the source would be more cleaned up/split
into easier to consume pieces/documented/commented you would attract more
developers.

--
Marc Haisenko
Comdasys AG