[asterisk-dev] how to export symbols from app_ and chan_ objects?

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Feb 21 19:23:08 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 19:52 -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2006 04:20, Marc Haisenko wrote:
> > On Monday 20 February 2006 23:43, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > > Why not simply write your app directly into chan_zap.c and use
> > > the corresponding ast_register_application and
> > > ast_unregister_application APIs?  This is already being done for
> > > another app that needs similar access to private zaptel channel
> > > structures.
> >
> > Suggestions like these explain why Asterisk is full of >100kB
> > source files... I really hope this was a joke.
>
> Oh, no!  100k?  My goodness, where shall I ever find a disk large
> enough to store a source file of that size?

The question is not if the file is too big to fit onto your hard drive,
the question is if the file is too big to easily comprehend.  Everything
that I've seen about software engineering has indicated that large files
and long functions are a detriment to software quality.  Even without a
major rewrite, these large source code files would probably benefit from
being broken up into multiple files.

Jeff