[asterisk-dev] AGI onAnswer function: does it exist?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Feb 20 09:25:58 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 16:40 +0200, Vlasis Hatzistavrou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question that is very technical in nature, and this is why it
> is more relevant to the Asterisk-Dev list rather than Asterisk-Users
> list.

You missed the important part of the question though, does this have
anything to do with the development of asterisk? Your subject line leads
me to believe, NO. Even the contents of this message deals with the
interaction of asterisks and your application which is where users live.

> Here is the issue:
>
> I am trying to write an AGI in Perl and I need to execute a function
> upon answer of a call.

AGI should not be started until after the call is answered. You should
have a call in place and send it to AGI where it then can handle the
rest of your details.

It seems you have placed the call in the wrong order, call out and
connect to AGI. If your app is too slow starting(and perl is known for
it's slow startups) then you need to look at Fast AGI.