[asterisk-dev] Asterisk applications profiling

Dmytro Mishchenko dioml at dreamtime.net
Mon Feb 20 07:03:46 MST 2006

Hello developers,
I would like to ask about any experience people have profiling Asterisk
application. I'm interesting in profiling channels and other loadable
Asterisk modules. Briefly checking gprof the best that I can get is profile
of the main thread.

In the net I found description of how gprof can be used with multithreaded
applications: http://sam.zoy.org/writings/programming/gprof.html
But using LD_PRELOAD doesn't give me desired results. I still see profile of
the main thread only. I didn't try to insert "setitimer" call manually in
Asterisk code. Is it the way to go?

If somebody share his experince may be we can create another document like
CODING-GUIDELINES, README.backtrace which will describe Asterisk specific
profiling? I belive it'll be usefull for comunity.

Thanks,
Dmitry.