[asterisk-dev] Reducing RTP overhead

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Feb 13 12:41:14 MST 2006

>>>>> "Kristian" == Kristian Kielhofner <kris at krisk.org> writes:

Kristian> A long, long time ago someone somewhere told me about a
Kristian> feature with RTP to reduce overhead (and bandwidth).  By trunking I
Kristian> mean trunking as in "IAX trunking" - stuffing multiple voice channels
Kristian> into the same UDP packet on connections between the same systems to
Kristian> reduce UDP/etc overhead (you know what I am talking about). :)

The standards-track method of doing this with RTP is documented in
rfc4170, entitled “Tunneling Multiplexed Compressed RTP (TCRTP)”.

To quote a bit from it:

,----rfc4170
| This section describes how to combine three protocols: Enhanced CRTP,
| PPP Multiplexing, and L2TP Tunneling, to save bandwidth for RTP
| applications such as Voice over IP.
`----

Cf rfc4170 for the details and references to the protocols it uses:

http://rfc.net/rfc4170.html

Or grab the plain text at:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4170.txt

-JimC