[asterisk-dev] Generic analysis of incoming voice packets

Wai Wu wwu at Calltrol.com
Mon Feb 13 08:10:20 MST 2006

There is a collection of functions you can use in dsp.c. Maybe one of those will fit your needs. Then again, if you look around on http://bugs.digium.com, you might find some of the stuffs you want.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of Juan Carlos
Castro y Castro
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 9:35 AM
To: asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com
Subject: [asterisk-dev] Generic analysis of incoming voice packets

I'd like to be able to examine incoming voice packets on a call and
determine what they are -- silence? DTMF? human voice? Fax tone? Noise?

I took a look at app_rxfax.c and at the doxygen-generated spandsp
documentation, but I couldn't find a function that gets a block of audio
samples that can contain anything and analyzes them. The rxfax main loop,
although it looks promising, is fax-specific:

        while (ast_waitfor(chan, -1) > -1)
        {
            inf = ast_read(chan);
            if (inf == NULL)
            {
                res = -1;
                break;
            }
            if (inf->frametype == AST_FRAME_VOICE)
            {
                if (fax_rx(&fax, inf->data, inf->samples))
                    break;

Instead of fax_rx(), I want to put something that takes the samples and
determines with passable accuracy what the netherworld they are. What should
I be looking at?

Thnx n dvnc,
Juan