[asterisk-dev] Reducing RTP overhead

asterisk at ntplx.net asterisk at ntplx.net
Sun Feb 12 21:36:14 MST 2006

>From what I was reading in the RFC...

CRTP compresses the header by removing most of it. This is done on point
to point links where the routers know the info in the header and then
remove it over the link and add it back in on the other side. So after
compression there is not enough left in the header to route the packet
by its self. Also if the routers loose packets they may drop even
more data and the resync the compressed stream.

So Asterisk can't send CRTP packets to a non-local phone. If the phone
is local then bandwidth should not be a problem....

Send more voice data in a packet so the overhead is less and don't use
UDP checksums (saves 2 more bytes).

For overhead (SIP per call RTP streams):
40 bytes header, 20 bytes voice data (20ms G.729) does not look good.
40 bytes header, 160 bytes voice data (20ms G.711/G.722) looks ok.

If you up it to 40ms then for G.729 it's 50% header, 50% data.

Some systems run 10ms, but that's nuts (IMHO), 20ms is "standard" and
40ms is not too bad for jitter. 60-80ms is a bit long in systems that
have additional delay (ie, anything non-local).