[asterisk-dev] TDMoE timing

Paul Cadach paul at odt.east.telecom.kz
Wed Feb 8 07:21:56 MST 2006

Hi,

Tony Mountifield wrote:
[skipped]
> When I start up zaptel, with wcfxo, ztd-eth, ztdynamic and zaptel
> loaded, my monitoring machine initially sees one TDMoE packet per
> millisecond, as expected. After between 75 and 90 packets, there is
> suddenly a pause for anything from 80ms to 800ms, after which the next
> packet in sequence is sent, followed in rapid succession by the next 18
> packets spaced about 20us apart. Then another big pause followed by
> another burst of 18 or 19 packets. At the second pause, there is a
> discontinuity in the TDMoE sequence number, indicating some packets have
> been lost.

[skipped]

Hm-m-m, I'm using TDMoE to pass timing between two Asterisk boxes (one is not
connected to TDM network) and don't found any problems. Note: The zaptel is very
old, dated arout January, 25th 2005.

Looks like the problem lives somewhere around your network card.

I found that TDMoE requires some sort of 'jitter buffer' just because packets
goes not exactly 1000ns but could be delayed for a little due to network
activity and zt_transmit() is called without data received from remote side.

WBR,
Paul.