[asterisk-dev] NFAS Implementation Spanning Multiple Servers

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Feb 3 03:44:32 MST 2006

Servers

> On Feb 2, 2006, at 7:44 PM, Steve Totaro wrote:

I don’t understand what you mean.  If I have a server with two four (4)
port T1 cards that is eight (8) T1s on one box.  Last I knew, T1 cards
are not hot swappable, so you will have to take eight (8) offline at
some point, instead of just four.  To me it makes more sense to put my
eggs in different baskets speaking from a hardware failure viewpoint.
With two D channels in a multi server spanned NFAS setup, there is a
backup.

> > Besides, going from seven to four is not that much of a cost
> > savings to
> > justify the redundancy issue of having separate boxes.
>
> How many D channels are you thinking you'll get this down to?  2?  Is
> $200 / month difference worth the added complexity of multi-chassis
> NFAS?

Two cards per server is pretty much out of the question.  The price
difference is negligible and the 1U servers take up less room and
provide more redundancy (less eggs in one basket).

So, it would be a savings of $500/month, going from seven to two.  If it
cannot be done in Asterisk then I will probably look at the large Adtran
(cannot remember the model name) that can actually alter and create the
channels rather than just breaking them up and passing them on.  The
price was around $20,000 I believe.

I am sure the configuration of this high-end Adtran will add just as
much complexity as multi-chassis NFAS.  Probably even more complex since
Asterisk is pretty easy to configure.  I have yet to play with the high
end adtran box.

Thanks,
Steve