[asterisk-dev] Cross-compiling for embedded platforms using openWRT

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sat Dec 30 12:43:22 MST 2006

I'm now a happy user of the latest version (SVN-trunk of the "kamikaze"
branch) of openWRT.  And on it I have now gotten running the latest
(1.4.0) release code of Asterisk.

Steve Sokol went there first, and there's a forum page on the openWRT
site describing how he did it and things he learned along the way.

The primary snags I faced were twofold: first, and this is almost
certainly due to my ignorance, I'm not convinced the configure scripts
are entirely picking up their values for the target environment.  As an
example, the openWRT build system doesn't seem to have the re-entrant
resolver functions, but the configure script set HAVE_RES_NINIT anyways.

So in several places (it saw curl libraries, too, even though there's
nothing of the sort in the target environment) I had to manually futz
with things to get around that.

The second thing is the way the menuselect process works; the menuselect
app is compiled and run at configure time.  In this cross-compile
environment, it compiles menuselect for the MIPSEL CPU and then tries to
execute it on my host (Intel) box. The workaround is to go in and
manually build and run menuselect on the host machine, and then continue
with the cross-build.

I'm using the recommended Kamikaze build environment as per a posting by
"mbm" on the front page of the openWRT site, btw.

Any suggestions for working around these problems would be greatly
appreciated.  I'm just enough of a coder to be dangerous to myself, and
not enough of one, for sure, to do anything but scratch my head when I
starting munging with the autoconf files.

Thx.

B.

believed to be clean.